NYS DSP Core Competencies Resources – What Supervisors Need to Know
The Competencies are broken down into seven goal areas covering all aspects of the person’s life, while also including the professionalism of direct support. A Core Competencies video is available that demonstrates the key components.
The seven goal areas are:
• Putting People First
• Building and Maintaining Positive Relationships
• Demonstrating Professionalism
• Supporting Good Health
• Supporting Safety
• Having a Home
• Being Active and Productive in Society
The Core Competencies are NOT a training program. They represent the day-to-day valuable work that DSPs perform when serving individuals with developmental disabilities.
To assist FLSs with understanding the Core Competencies and how they apply to the professionals they manage, the RCWT have developed a list of online resources that can be used to continue the state’s Workforce Transformation initiative.
Below is a current list of resources. Click on the links to watch a video, webinar, or download a document.
Have questions? Please contact us!
Onboarding Tools to Incorporate the Code of Ethics and Core Competencies – Provided by Family Residences & Essential Enterprises, Inc.
- DSP Job Description
- Sample Candidate Evaluation From
- DSP Experienced – Core Competencies Interview Questions
- DSP Inexperienced – Core Competencies Interview Questions
- DSP Evaluation Training for Supervisors – This is a Power Point from the NYS Office for People With Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) that assists in training FLSs on how to evaluate DSPs on the Core Competencies.
Orientation Core Competencies Video
Core Competency Training Resources
Transformation Core Competencies for Supervisors
How to Supervise the Core Competency - Video